7.4.13

Road to Eviction (The what had happened)


I had a couple of people write to me, I guess by way of this blog, and ask me when I was going to write about what got me evicted since it wasn't:
  1. being a residential terrorist(loud parties/not following rules of the building)
  2. not paying my rent

 photo tumblr_mb4z4jsztx1r46um9o2_r3_500-Copy.gif

SO I decided to divide the story into five parts

tentatively titled:
  1. In the Family Way: Stabilized
  2. The Burden of Proof: Court
  3. Begining of the End
  4. Packing
  5. Anatomy of an Eviction
Background:

I lived in a rent stabilized apartment with my great aunt  and then she passed away, so I lived in a rent stabilized apartment alone (ohhhh lucky me, right? No, more like hassle city!) According to NYS Law, I am not legally entitled to stay just because I lived there for over ten years and was a relative. I couldn't afford to move (in many ways); my hairdresser, laundry, neighbors, friends, work, play, nail salon and bank were all within a five block radius.Also my rent was affordable, which is a crime to the landlord population of NYC. .

In order to make the apartment-"my apartment" I needed to prove I had a non-traditional relationship with my aunt. However, "non-traditional relationships" are meant to define the relationship , which can be quite traditional, between a same sex couple. So though the term sounds broad, everyone understands it's constrictions, except for me, the person who didn't go to law school but who thinks "it couldn't be that hard"; I mean it's reading what someone wrote...

  photo tumblr_mifl7fGzyM1qbbz7ao1_500.jpg

 Upstair battle; So it began...

No comments:

Post a Comment