26.8.13

Mainstream Media resists a fair representation of black people...

 photo tumblr_me61p3Sp9V1qg0qo8.gif
Word?!!? Noooo!

I went to this event, a few months ago...on May 15, 2013, by mistake . This guy, whom I met on the internet, wanted to meet here.

He was ,and is, the bougie for no reason at all type and wanted to "be seen" on 'the scene'. So I met him at MIST: Harlem for this Black , Brown and Digital event.( more about his nutty ass later, maybe)

Anyway, it was at this event I discovered some new trendy things worth my time: New Web series and independent film to watch, when I cant download anymore reality TV . I  won't lie and say I have watched it all, but one day/sleepless night coming soon, I may, but For now, I am going to lay down an interest list and do a 'few' lines of thought for each, with a meme that sums it up. No particular order.

READY. SET. GO:



 photo tumblr_lpiyyos4px1qeq84k.gif
  • A.V. Rockwell:Open City Mixtape: Trendy name, belonging to a good looking lady. She reminds me of Vashtie. I looked at her films and though I am not about that life, I do know some people that are-and while I feel sorry for them, if I want to see guns, violence , drugs and black people-i can and will watch the news. The films are short, well done but gritty, and 'cultish'. Joey BadA$$ makes an appearance,and overall the explanation can be very...


  •  
 photo tumblr_lxtjwcawuf1qe96rro1_500.gif
  • EastWillyB Seems interesting, so far. There is a plot worth following, as it explores how gentrification impacts an original community and what that really means. Since that's what I think my blog is all about, this is probably one of the first web series I will really take the time to watch, steal urban quotes and stuff. However, remember I started this movement, the web series was inspired because, Gentrifried...
  •  
     photo tumblr_miwakliHoP1qj8dgco1_500.gif
  • Brett and the City: The theme was tired to me, very "done before', but I am not really into that black slapstick 'ish" and that's just me. I am a little Bougie! However,  listening to the Brett Sanders, who plays the main character, speak on the panel about all the work, money, blood, sweat and tears -he and others put into this vessel that became a web series was inspirational. You truly can birth anything with hard work.(..and money), Desire....(and money)Support (...in the form of money).However, I don't think I want to see a story about a black man, trippin' over ish and saying my life sucks (for whatever reason), but you may... 


 photo tv-gif.gif
  •  For Colored Boys:OMG. Remember Julito McCullum.(Naymond from The Wire ) and Tim Reid (the dad From Sister Sister), They are in this. Some well known names and heavy hitting issues in the black community: family, prison and reparation of sort. Please get out of jail and just "show up' to your 'boo's last known  home'... It feels promising. Added to playlist Feeling like anything For Colored boys can be for Colored Girls and...
  •  
     
     
     
     photo ku-medium.gif
  • 12 Steps to recover Two true things: This show is being courted by a major network; I don't think major networks are interested in deep stories about black people. To be honest, judging by the TV that makes money : RHWOA, LAHHATL, BGC, this could fit right in. I may watch, just so I can write letters about how depicting the black woman as crazy/unreasonable/funky/ otherwise ridiculous is not  helping the cause to get black men to date black women. Not that that's a cause anyone cares about. LOL. But this may be the 2013 reason to be... 












 Now for my other guilty pleasure..


  • My Brother's Keeper: Lamont Pierre. I enjoy LGBT centered media: writings, films etc...This is the first Web Series I ever watched all the way through. No offense to that Issa Rae stuff, but I feel like this series's  desire to tell LGBT stories in a way that is accessible to everyone,makes the writers that much better at writing about people who aren't gay. There are characters who are homeless, depressed, in college , dealing with domestic violence,and  one episode revolves around a young married couple but they all tie in...eventually. There are a myriad of lenses here, almost exclusively black. It's well filmed and well told.


  • Ken: Web Series  Only one episode is up. i think it's awesome as it explores the idea of down low relationships and the churches pressure and presence in the context of black relationships.I also think it's awesome because my friend "tray" is in it. I was not surprised that he could act "gay ' so well, this probably why he was such a failure at seducing me and ended up in the friend zone instead of the boyfriend zone. He is so sweet and cute.
 photo rihanna-diamonds-world-tour-gif-that-grape-juice.gif
Tray's body makes you want to...

Even though he is gay, and very happy and unconfused about it,  in the series...


     photo Jaydisgusted.gif
     The first reaction to the idea of it down low men, the church , sex and all of the 'stuff like that", as a straight woman...








       photo not_even_mad.gif





      But when you get through, it's like:





       So, once again:

        photo tumblr_ltkz9behU41qj5t08o1_500.gif

      The  mainstream fear Shut down one creative avenue, but my people(s) were, and will be, inspired to make / find new avenues to create and decimate, dope content for us, by us and about us.

        photo tumblr_m26rwgbBkW1qa74kvo1_500.gif

      On that note,Sleep. (no more, "night" , because it seems no one sleeps at Night)

      -Gentrifried

        No comments:

        Post a Comment