15.7.13

The battle of the Indian vs the African aka Personal Natural Hair Challenge



I have this really great curly hair...

yet, sometimes, most times, I have this unyielding desire to look like everyone else. I want that sleek , straight hair situation...

 photo tumblr_miuu8wCrbn1rzgu6uo1_500.gif
Though I would never get a perm....
I will flat iron my hair into submission, like a foster parent is rumored to beat bad children...often.


 photo tumblr_mils6mHrSC1s0ixh8o1_400.gif

I need all types of stuff to keep the above from occurring; shampoo, conditioner, blow-out creme, hair protect-ant flat iron serum,  pins and whatever else to keep it pretty and poised...or about $65.oo at the salon to be entertained and have my hair tamed. Le sigh at the "black hair salon schema"
  photo tumblr_mihqdaX0891qlxyddo1_400.gif
Anyway, I decided  to try to be practical.No matter the look of it, I am always trying, you know...

As I have harped throughout this blog, I am technically homeless;  I don't have, well I shouldn't have the means/time  to dedicate to my hair...Also, I needed to let my hair rest. I had a weave, that wore my hair out...then I had twists, and I didn't "take them down" properly with oil-Instead, I immersed my hair in water and conditioner and brushed it out..."it" being half of the hair on my head, onto the bathroom floor.

 photo tumblr_mg8fxuCf5X1r396who1_250-1.gif

Looking at the hair on the floor made me think about how conforming has always been a destructive thing for my personal essence. Thus, a need to just to let my hair rest, grow back and get back to it's natural, big , wild , curly, crazy status. Its always been it's own auxiliary 'being' anyway, no wonder I felt it's destruction so vividly...
 photo tumblr_m9l55p4rQC1rvn8p7o2_500.gif
In the spirit of that, I have been reading blogs-even though I have had long hair and know that reading a blog is one thing that will never make my hair grow faster/ get where I want it to be. However it is entertaining.

I have found out about new ways people want to separate you from your money...so they can have it,to spend on things they like. I have also found out about new ways people have taken this good hair / natural hair thing to the next level. I read it, and I am like...

 photo tumblr_m8zipyQebG1rouyn1o1_500-1.gif'

B.S! No one really needs a ton of hair products, my grandmother used coconut oil/mineral oil or olive oil , with barrettes and a brush for years...my hair grew long, curly and healthy. However, I did recently buy Treseme Flawless curls conditioner because it smelled like this "salon selectives" conditioner that I use to love back in the day...Attention marketing people, it's all about the smell...

Look, just because "the people in charge", at your job, pretty much "strong armed" you into getting a perm, weave or whatever (in the past) to get, retain or maintain an upward trajectory at your "employment situation", doesn't mean you get to demonize folks who choose "that way of wearing hair" now that you can be "curly" or "nappy" and free.That's real. Everyone should just do what suits them, especially when it comes to something as trivial as hair...I pick and choose what suits me, according to my mood...I am not hubris enough to call it a journey, because it isn't. With all of the real problems the world holds hostage in its sphere, hair can't be that serious...right?

So right now, until I fall in love with my flat iron, Brazilian weave or anything else..we will just say that I am cultivating my curls....

  photo tumblr_m9t7preDvr1qlznzro1_500.gif
for now :-)

 (you can see pics of this on my Instagram, I am not private so you don't have to follow to be nosey)
-Gentrifried

No comments:

Post a Comment